Thursday, June 25, 2015

Run #3 Remember the Fallen 5K

So I have a month left till my half marathon.  My knee is still bugging me....Did I mention that oh yeah I hurt my knee.  Something happened during my long run on Saturday and my left knee just blew up on me.  It hurt to walk, hurt to bend, hurt to do just bout anything.  It caused my calf to swell and the whole nine yards.

After going in for an MRI and an Ultrasound they found no ligament damage and said rest for a week and you'll be good to go.

So I rested and while I was resting I came across this website www.virtualstrides.com .  This is a place where you can sign up for the race that they have going on that month.  You sign up for the distance your going to run and you run it.  They send you a bib, your track your run and time and then you upload the results on their page.  They send you a medal for completeing the race and the money for entering to to a particular chairty for that month.  The race for May was the Remember the Fallen, anyone that has served in any branch of the military has my utmost respect and this race sounded like a good one.  The proceeds went to Special Operations Warrior Foundation.

About the Charity: The Special Operations Warrior Foundation (SOWF) was established in 1980 after a daring attempt to rescue 53 American hostages in Iran tragically ended when a helicopter and a C-130 aircraft collided, killing eight American heroes and leaving 17 children without fathers. What started as a battlefield promise to take care of those children has become the noble cause of the SOWF.
The SOWF ensures full financial assistance for a post-secondary degree from an accredited two or four-year college, university, technical or trade school, as well as family and educational counseling, including in-home tutoring, to the surviving children of Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps special operations personnel who lose their lives in the line of duty. The foundation also provides immediate financial assistance and support to ensure that severely wounded personnel are able to have their loved ones at their bedside during recovery.
I completed my race (with a still very swollen knee, the dr lied its not all better) in 34 mins. 


No comments:

Post a Comment