Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Race #2 - Hot Chocolate 15K April 18th

Ok so I really upped my mileage for the next race.  I decided that I wanted to see with a 6 1/2 weeks left if I was anywhere near ready for this darn race.

Let me tell you, RAM Racing was great!  They were so organized, and well prepared that you almost felt pampered.

So the night before the race, Deb, Becky and I went to the EXPO, we picked up race bibs, got a little pre-race massage, picked up more things that I didnt need but wanted and then we headed out to Doolittles and had a pre-celbration dinner, some carbs, sunshine and wonderful company.  I was fine at the dinner, I came home, took my shower and then it was time for bed (5:00AM comes soon).  I laid in bed till almost midnight, unable to sleep, I guess I was a little anxious!!!!




Well of course the morning came way to fast!  I got up had my self some breakfast (english muffin and Peanut Butter) then promptly thought I was going to throw up.  Why was I putting myself through this, who in their right mind would choose to get up super early, drive to a location, jam pack your self in the corrals like sardines and go run for 2 hours...  Was I crazy?!?!?  Then I figured out, I think I'm a runner.

I think I'm a runner now, that put a huge smile on my face, and I immediately said to myself but I'm still a slow runner, and everyone's going to beat me.

We got to Boom Island (after Carrie picked me up, and Deb's husband quite graciously offered to drive us down there) and of course I had to use the bathroom again (I think I already had gone like 6 times this morning)

Deb was running her first 5K in years so we were cheering her on as she got in her corral, then we headed to ours.  I was in my corral, doing some stretches, trying to mentally block out all the other people that were there making me nervous.  They were talking about PR, the last one did they last week, the marathon their training for, the way they can't stand slow runners in there way, etc....  Well headphones in, music on, and away we went.

I ran without stopping for my first 2 miles (this is a first for me, I've never run 2 miles without stopping to walk before)  I started to relax a little bit, look at the huge ferris wheel thats in the middle of NE Mpls (yes, apparently theres a restaurant called Betty Dangers, and it comes with Ferris Wheel Rides might have to check that out later).

The race was awesome, every mile marker I passed I felt stronger and happier, until mile 7.  Mile 7 is when my back and shoulders started to tighten up on me.  I ended up walking most of mile 7, and chatting with some nice people.

The craziest thing happened.....As I was coming down to the last .3 of the race people were walking on the sides and they were encouraging, saying great things, making me smile.  As I crossed the finish line, hearing the emecee say my name I started crying,  Yep crying, I couldnt turn it off either, it was like this huge release in my body.  I know that it wasnt the half marathon but I also know that there's not that many crazy people out there that would run 15K's just because.  It was a huge accomplishment for me and I was so happy.

My race time as 2:08 to finish with a 13.45/mile.......up next the half!






No comments:

Post a Comment