Monday, May 4, 2015

My First Race of 2015 -- Goldy's 5K Run

So I said that I wanted to run some races before the BIG one in June.  What a better way to start than with a 5K.

By this time April 11th, I had been running for 2 1/2 months and was pretty confident with being able to complete that.  Note that by this time I had lost 20 pounds from all my exercising and I realized that I dont really care if I hit 52 pounds lost or not.  My bigger goal now was whether or not I would finish the Half Marathon.




So April 11, we all piled in my car (Me, Jess, Donna, Jim and Liz) and we drove down to the University of Minnesota Mpls campus and got ready to run our races.

During my running I had come to a realization that most of the time, I prefer to run by myself.  I feel bad when others have to run slower to keep up with me or I feel sick if I tryto keep up with them.   I have to keep telling myself that its okay to be slow that I've only been running for 10 weeks, and I'm over-weight and doing the best I can.

While we were lining up for the race, after decided that I didnt want to wait in line for the Porta Potty, then changing my mind, all those things came flooding back...Why Running, What if all my race friends beat me, What if they get tired of waiting for me, What if, What if, What if.  I had worked myself right in to a nice little panic.  So instead I put my earbuds in and started my music, time to tune out the What ifs and get to now instead.  As I ran across the starting line I started to relax, I smiled and started out.  I'm not a fan of trying to dodge people that like to stop right in the middle, or walk in a string, but I forged ahead and just kept going.

Guess what happened, all my friends running the race (Jim, Liz, Jess and Donna), they all finished before me, they all crossed the line, got their water and medals before me. But they didn't get mad, or annoyed, they waited and I crossed the finish line 39:07 with a pace of 12.36/mile.



I was happy and excited and ready to keep going!


No comments:

Post a Comment